Log in

Log in

I'm a High School Graduate

As a high school graduate in Iowa, you still have to acquire a bit more education. However, on your way to earning your associate's degree or bachelor's degree, you will have ample opportunity to learn whether the career of Iowa Professional School Counselor is right for you.

As long as you are earning a degree, could be in most any field, you are not completely committing to the career of an Iowa Professional School Counselor; however, you are still working your way toward becoming one.

Step One:

Gather information from schools offering associate degree programs or bachelor degree programs in psychology, counseling or any type of program you are currently interested in. It is not imperative you enroll in a counseling program at this point. The only necessity is that you begin earning your associate's degree or bachelor's degree. A bachelor's degree is a requirement in order to pursue graduate training as a school counselor.

Step Two:

A great way to find out if you are interested in a social service type of career, like school counseling, is to find volunteering organizations who work with children or young adults. The following are links to organizations who can place you in volunteering positions across the state of Iowa:

Don't hesitate! It's easy to put aside volunteer work, because sometimes it's hard to see the value this type of work can bring you, especially when you are short on cash! However, the friendships you make and the conclusions you will come to about the direction of your career are priceless.

So get out there, begin earning your undergraduate degree, and volunteer!

Step Three:

Once you have earned your Bachelor's Degree, if a career in Professional School Counseling is right for you, you will need to earn your Master's Degree in School Counseling.

Learn more about this path

Contact  Us
Phone: (515) 282-8192
6919 Vista Drive
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software