2012 Lifetime Achievement Award - Janice Kuhl
Nominated by Careyanne Wood
Professional Experience: (1972-present)
• High School counselor, Westside High School, Omaha
• High School counselor, Wahlert High School, Dubuque
• Elementary School Counselor, Dexter Elementary, Dexter
• School Counseling Consultant, AEA 11, Ankeny
• K-12 School Counseling and Grant Facilitator for Des Moines Public Schools
• Iowa Department of Education School Counseling Supervisor
Impact on School Counseling:
• Leadership to create and implement the Iowa School Counseling Leadership Summit and the Iowa School Counseling Transformational Design Team.
• Led efforts to reinstate school counseling programs in the Iowa code
• Drafted state administrative rules and designed a new framework for Iowa school counseling programs based on the ASCA national model
• Through partnering with School Administrators of Iowa developed four state trainings for K-12 administrators and counselors with goal of maximizing the principal-counselor relationship to increase student achievement.
• Wrote and was awarded federal grants totaling over $3,200,000.
• Testified before a U.S. Senate committee on the impact of school counselors on violence prevention. The Elementary Counseling Demonstration Grant passed immediately!
• Is a visionary leader for the school counseling profession
“Jan is a lifelong learner, a model of how an employee of a state department of education should lead
and a tireless voice for those kids who often end up not having one in our current system and
structure. She … knows how to engage and empower large groups of professionals to
accomplish rigorous goals.” (Troyce Fisher, Iowa Leadership Academy Co-director)
“Jan’s professional achievements spanning her impressive life-long career have been driven by her
passion for all children. This, in turn, has resulted in thousands of children having opportunities
to themselves achieve during their lifetimes.” (Careyanne Wood, school counselor)