I Have Already Earned a College Degree

The following are the steps necessary for earning your school counseling certification in Iowa:

Step One:

Fulfill educational requirements through one of the following avenues:

  1. Earn a Master's degree in School Counseling
  2. Earn a Master's in any other field and then separately, complete a school counseling program from an approved educational institution.

Additional educational coursework involve the following:

  • Complete an approved human relations component
  • Complete an approved exceptional learner component
  • Complete all course work required by the Board of Educational Examiners for an Iowa School Counseling license. (This will vary from person to person based upon previous educational course work taken.)

The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners provides a checklist for the additional required coursework for the Endorsements/Teacher/Counselor here.

Call this number for more information: (515) 281-3245(515) 281-3245

Step Two:

Download the appropriate application form from the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners webpage. Follow the instructions posted on the top of the application.

Step Three:

You will also need to complete a minimum 100 hours of supervised practicum and 500 hours of supervised internship experiences involving a variety of usual school counseling activities. This requirement should be addressed by your school counseling program provider.

Step Four:

Contact the Iowa Department of Education in order to make sure you have everything in order to become certified by calling the following number: (515) 281-3245(515) 281-3245

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software