Matt Brown - Graduate Student Chair
Greetings Graduate Students, School Counselors, and Retirees!
I am in my second year of studies in the Professional School Counseling program at Buena Vista University (BVU). As the school counseling student chair, I look forward to advocating for and collaborating with aspiring or new school counselors from Iowa’s five wonderful graduate programs. My background is in Higher Education, so I feel well positioned to support adult students and recognize the shared and distinct attributes of the University of Iowa, the University of Northern Iowa, Drake University, Buena Vista University, and Loras College.
I attended my first ISCA Conference in November 2015, and what an experience it was! I try to use the concept of a growth mindset every day to advance my own learning and better prepare to support the learning of future students, which was a key theme of the conference. My overall goal is to motivate graduate students in our state’s school counseling programs to join a united movement of mutually beneficial involvement with the association that peaks during the 2016 ISCA Conference. I want being an active member of ISCA to feel as essential as any graduation requirement.
Directly out of high school, I spent five years at Iowa State University earning degrees in Accounting and Higher Education. I am now in my 15th year working within (or in association with) college student financial aid, with the past 10 years spent at Iowa Student Loan in West Des Moines.
Fun Facts about Me:
• I am married to a wonderful preschool teacher who inspires me everyday.
• I have two elementary students who continue to be essential partners in my education.
• I grew up in Mankato, Minnesota
• I love to write creative fiction with a nonfiction twist and have self-published a book available on Amazon.com called Fore for Four.
• My wife and I cannot get enough Life is Good apparel or say enough great things about this optimistic-driven company.
Please reach out to me anytime with your ideas, questions, or interest in becoming more involved with ISCA!